Sandia’s IB program is open to all high school students in the area as well as surrounding private school students. Interested students must complete an online application and may be required to participate in a personal interview prior to admittance.
IB Preparatory Program
To succeed in IB, students must be dedicated learners. To facilitate this, we encourage students to enroll in our IB Preparatory Program during the freshman and sophomore years. Students who have completed that program successfully will advance to the Diploma Program in their junior year.
To apply for the IB Preparatory Program, students must complete the online application and provide unofficial transcripts. Current math and language arts teachers will be contacted to submit teacher recommendations.
IB Prep applicants living outside the Sandia attendance area desiring a transfer to attend Sandia must submit a completed IB Prep online application and also apply for a transfer with APS. Transfers are granted by the district through their transfer lottery, which begins in February.
*Students living outside the Sandia attendance area who received a transfer to attend Sandia for the purposes of joining the IB Prep Program and fail to enroll in the IB Diploma Program are required to meet with program coordinators for an exit interview to remain in good standing with their transfer status.*
Check the Course Catalog for complete program Descriptions.
- IB Language and Literature HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB French Ab Initio, SL, & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB Spanish Ab Initio, SL & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB History HL - History of the Americas - Year 1
- IB History HL - World Topics - Year 2
- IB Biology SL - Year 1 or 2
- IB Chemistry SL & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB Physics SL & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB Mathematics Analysis & Approaches SL & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB Visual Arts SL & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB Sports, Exercise, and Health Science SL & HL- Year 1 & 2
- IB Business Management SL & HL - Year 1 & 2
- IB Computer Science SL - Year 1 or 2
- IB Theory of Knowledge - Year 1 & 2
Eligibility and Admission
What type of students should apply for the IB Diploma Program?
- Highly motivated students
- Students with proven academic success
- Students who are intellectually curious
- Students who are ready to to be pushed to their academic limit
Interested students will be asked to fill out an online application. The admissions process also will include:
- A review of school transcripts and grades
- Teacher Recommendations
- Personal Interview if requested